Sunday 28 December 2008

About HRP


Hi there,

My name is Mariya and I am 15 years old! No of course not, I am older but I look and sound like a teenager for some strange reason. I still get ID'd to buy paracetamol and was once refused a 12A movie till I went to get an 'adult'!

I live in UK but I am originally from Nigeria. I am truly from a royal family, but there's quite a number of them in Nigeria so it's no biggie (unless I'm home of course).

I absolutely love everything colourful. I got into beauty about 4 years ago and did bits and pieces of skin care and make-up training. I eventually took it seriously late 2008/ early 2009 and decided to take a proper course, especially in bridal make-up. It cost me a considerable amount of money but I have a 'qualification', and learned some technical/professional tips. I would have loved an NVQ but I just haven't got the time, and you honestly do not need it anyway to be a great make-up artist. All you need is an open mind, some colours and brushes and a desire to learn. I have always had a knack for art, and I did a lot of that right from my early years.
Putting a make-up kit together was not easy financially, physically, emotionally, you name it but there are companies out there that will help you, and if you have a blog or put up Youtube tutorials they will send you stuff to try/use. I'm lucky I have a powerful support network called family, who I love to death.
I am a pigment person, I love being able to make my own custom colours. Most of my make-up is natural/mineral make-up but there is the odd cosmetic pigment, waterproof mascara, colour corrector etc that I have not found a natural/mineral replacement for. As soon as I can I will put a few pictures of my kit.

As far as brands are concerned, all my bases (foundations) are from Jane Iredale (JI) and ID (bare escentuals). Most of the products are from JI, ID, Facefront, Becca, Naked, Obsessive compulsive cosmetics. Other brands in there are EFNY, Graftobian, MAC, Youngblood, Make-up forever, Artistry, Urban decay, Guerlain, Tarte, Smashbox, Stila etc. Artists have to be versatile you know. The best way to get hold of products is to go to trade fairs (usually between 10-40% discount)!
I have a lot of brushes! That will have to be a blog post of its own.
When it comes to skin care, for me Artistry is second to none. For the natural range I like to go with Aveda.
I am not a fan of animal cruelty and I support fair trade and sustainable products where possible.

Aren't you tired already? OK read on...



I do have a life outside of beauty. I have just completed a BSc in Clinical Anatomy in 1 year (I dunno what I was thinking!) and am looking forward to completing my MBChB (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) in March 2010. It does take up a lot of time, I'm sure you know medicine is quite demanding but the idea is not to let it take over your life, as with any other career. Once I'm done with my internship, I plan to take a break and get on with my beauty craze. I hope to make my own brand, which will be a natural range specifically for women of colour. Nothing is more annoying than the constant struggle to find the right foundation shade!
Other than that I love travelling and sight seeing, watching cartoons and comic- movies, cooking and reading. I read inspirational/motivating/knowledge books. The only other ones I read are Islamic books and Harry Potter (how ironic right?). Every now and again my subscriptions- Sisters, Marie Claire, Black Beauty, Makeup artist magazine, Professional beauty, Lakeland, British Medical Journal, Amagram, Wedding Ideas- come through the post and make my day a little more interesting :)

I'm one of those people they call a Lohasian and it pays off, helps me sleep at night without nytol.

I'd love to hear from you. It's OK to ask me questions or request looks/face charts or advice. I will endeavour to answer them even if I do not do so promptly because I may be busy.

Stay beautiful...
 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Kimberly Stewart's "Classic Elegance" kit.